By Vocab Malone
I mainly include books that are, in some way, paradigm shakers – even if it’s only one big idea I takeaway. My list has books that have strongly shaped the way I think about things; “big picture” books (no, not books with pictures).
Good biblical introduction to epistemology and other philosophical issues, all from a theological persepective.
2. Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling by Jay E. Adams
Sparked a revolution in pastoral care. Still the most plain, most straightforward, and most convicting introduction to biblical counseling.
Will ignite a passion for missions in the Christian’s soul! Provides a biblical and God-centered view of missions and evangelism.
Clear, user-friendly and fun-to-navigate. A resource to turn to again and again. Fair, balanced, and based on Scripture.
5. Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions by Gregory Koukl
Equips the Christian for wisdom and effectiveness in conversational evangelism. Learn how to ask questions to make people think about what they are saying.
6. Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon by Bryan Chappell
No other approach to preaching has influenced me as much as this one. Biblical, practical, pastoral, gospel-centered, and Christ-focused.
7. One Race, One Blood: A Biblical Answer to Racism by Ken Ham and A. Charles Ware
Genesis, creation, history, Adam and Eve, the imago dei, DNA, biblical anthroplogy and more – this book brings it all to bear on the question of racism, unity, and humanity.
Why do we worship? How do we worship? How do we tie together creativity, church history, liturgical elements, and the gospel into our music and worship?
This book shows how a skilled communicator can make important apologetic issues engaging and interesting for a wider audience. Covers all the basic categories about Jesus.
I did not include Scripture in this list, as it stand in a different category altogether. The Bible has influenced me differently and more significantly than any book on the above list – by far.
- Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper
- The Forgotten Trinity: Recovering the Heart of Christian Belief by James White
- Science and Grace: God’s Reign in the Natural Sciences by Don Petcher and Tim Morris
- Covenantal Apologetics: Principles and Practice in Defense of Our Faithby K. Scott Oliphint
- Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption For Christian Families and Churches by Russell D. Moore
- Canon Revisited: Establishing the Origins and Authority of the New Testament Books by Michael J. Kruger
All book covers are linkable to the respected book.